By: Kristyn Granahan
For the beets:
1 cup kosher salt
4 medium beets, red or golden
- Evenly distribute salt on the bottom of a pan. Place beets on top.
- Cover with foil and roast (400 degrees Fahrenheit) until a paring knife or toothpick can be inserted in the beet without much pressure, about 35 minutes depending on beet size.
- Uncover and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- When the beets are cooled enough to hold, peel with hands. This works best while beets are warm. A towel can be used if the skin is giving any trouble, though the skin should come off easily without a peeler.
- Cut into wedges or dice, to the cook's preference.
For the vinaigrette:
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 cup oil
2 T fresh tarragon, minced
TT salt and pepper
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp garlic, minced
2 T honey
2 oranges, juiced and reduced to syrup consistency*
- Whisk shallots, garlic, honey, orange syrup, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl.**
- Keeping a steady whisk, slowly stream in the oil.
- Whisk in tarragon and season to taste.
For the salad:
1/4 cup pistachios, toasted and chopped
1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Toss beets in dressing. Garnish with toppings. Enjoy!
*Can sub 2 T orange juice concentrate if desired.
**This can be done in a blender on medium speed. Reduce speed to low when streaming in oil.
Be sure to check back every other week this summer for a new recipe from Kristyn of Simply Seasoned! She'll be sharing her personal favorites with us and if you'd like to see more + meet her team just head over to her site, Simply Seasoned.