By: Natalie Jean
Today is Valentine's Day. For those of you in relationships, I'm sure you've been feeling the pressure to get the perfect gift or reserve a table at the nicest restaurant or get the biggest bouquet of flowers. Props to you if you've succeeded at those gestures, but for those of you looking for a last minute idea that won't break the bank, keep reading!
First of all, Valentine's Day doesn't always have to be about grand gestures or expensive dates. It can be about celebrating sentimental details with the person you love in really unique and simple ways. (Don't get me wrong, I love a good romantic gesture, but the little things are wonderful just the same!)
So let's get started. Here are some really inexpensive, yet romantic date ideas for you + your SO tonight:
- Cook dinner for the two of you. Light some candles, play some music, and cook your significant other's favorite meal. Maybe even a super chocolate-y dessert, too!
- Meet up for lunch. Maybe you work all week and the two of you just don't have the time to do anything today. Make plans to go to a diner or café for lunch this week, to give you a little something to look forward to during the work week. A lunch date can often be inexpensive and brighten up the afternoon!
- Have a movie night. Popcorn and Netflix/Redbox can be date night lifesavers! Add a little cinnamon and sugar to your popcorn for something sweet and rent a romantic comedy to complete your date!
- Write letters. There's nothing that I love more than a good love note! They always bring a smile to my face. Take some time this afternoon and write your SO a letter about how you feel and how thankful you are to have them in your life. Trust me, it'll totally make their night! If you're really good with words, maybe even write a poem :)
- Give a sentimental gift. When my husband and I were dating, we would write each other little notes and go to concerts and movies together. After dating for 2 years I gave him a little box of all the mementos I had saved; notes, doodles, ticket stubs, polaroids. He loved it! Maybe you and your bf/gf both love music. Make them a playlist full of your favorite songs or songs that are about how you feel. If you knit, make them a scarf. If you make candles or furniture, perfect! Create a gift for them! The possibilities are endless, especially when googling "DIY gifts" is just a few clicks away.
These things might seem small compared to all the commercials and ads we've been seeing the last few days, but spending quality time with the person you love and showing them that you were thinking of them and how much they mean to you is what makes a beautiful Valentine's Day!